Thursday, May 14, 2009

Religion and Spirituality

This weekend my pious son will be making his first communion. It never seizes to amaze me what I can learn from my kid. As I have spent the last twelve years estranged from my Catholic roots,  my one and only child is helping me break down the defensive wall against my punitive Catholic upbringing.  How can I continue to be such a cynic when he has been so earnest in his believes?
I was comforted by the words of  Rabbi Sandy Eisenberg Sasso.  When she was speaking about teaching spirituality to children, she explained religion as a process in asking questions rather than getting answers. Eisenberg was encouraging parents to explore their heritage religion before giving up on it. She described choosing a religion to be like choosing a language. Families should  Choose the traditions that best suit their family and disregard the ones that don't.  

As it stands, I'm not embracing though I am inspired to explore.

Half finished jewelry box I made for Nico to give to him on the morning of his first communion. 
Detail from my home studio


No comments: